Astra was published last year in Knit Today's issue 97, and now that the rights have reverted back to me I'd love to offer it as a single download as well.
Astra is knitted in the round using a knit and purl stitch pattern that gradually transitions into a star-shaped chevron pattern and flips from a purl textured body into a stocking stitch crown. The way the decreases are set you'll get a slightly gathered crown with Astra with just a hint of a slouch [though if you like your hats slouchier, it's very easy to add the length to its body by working some extra rounds in stocking stitch before commencing the crown shaping].
I used Manos Serena, which is a very light 4ply yarn for the sample; the pattern is all written out, no charts this time, and is suitable for an advanced beginner.
- Skill Level Intermediate – working in the round, knit, purl, simple increases and decreases, and finishing.
- Finished Measurements 15 ¼ (17 ½, 19 ¾, 21 ¾) in / 38 (43.5, 49, 54.5) cm brim circumference. Shown in size 19 ¾ in / 49 cm. Designed to be worn with approximately 2-3 in / 5-7.5 cm of negative ease.
- To Fit 18 (20, 22-23, 24-25) in / 45.5 (51, 56-58.5, 61-63.5) cm head circumference.
- Gauge 28 sts and 36 rnds = 4 in (10 cm) over Stocking and Reverse Stocking stitch worked in the round on larger needles 22 sts = 4 in (10 cm) over Garter stitch worked in the round on smaller needles
- Yarn Manos del Uruguay Serena (60% baby alpaca / 40% pima cotton; 50 g / 172 yards / 155 m) #S7325 Deep Sea; 1 skein Substitute with approximately 120 (135, 155, 170) yards / 110 (125, 140, 155) m of 4-ply weight yarn which knits to the specified gauge. Yarn amounts might differ slightly depending on the yarn composition.
- Needles & Notions Size 2.5mm (US1) set of double pointed needles or size required to obtain the correct gauge Size 2.75mm (US2) set of double pointed needles or size required to obtain the correct gauge Stitch markers and tapestry needle